In brief – in case the patient is conscious and there are no fractured bones, we can be of help.
Our doctors with over 10,000 hours of on-call experience from Finland and Estonia combined can help You in case of acute illnesses or significant disorders, find the likely reasons and risk levels, and, if necessary, provide instructions for further treatment or tests.
We can help You with any medical issues usually handled by Your family physician as well as in case of acute (non-life threatening) situations such as:
- Cough, flu, sore throat, respiratory infections.
- Ear infection (children and adults).
- Diarrhoea and vomiting.
- Urinary tract infections (cystitis, pyelonephritis, prostate infection).
- Skin infections, eye infections.
- Suspected sexually transmitted diseases (STD).
- Initial identification of possible causes of fever.
- Back pain, abdominal pain, mild or moderate headache, limb-pain.
- Mild allergic reactions (without shortness of breath and/or swelling of the throat).
- Bug bites.
- Mild burns, wounds, abscesses.
- Wound care, changing of dressings, removal of stitches.
- Joint injections, removal of fluid from joints (knee, elbow, gout) if there are no joint prostheses.
- Removal of foreign bodies from the skin (splinters, ticks, fishing hooks, etc.).
- Removal of skin formations, moles, etc. – either completely or partially for sending to the laboratory for further evaluation.
- Mild traumas to the eye that are not affecting vision; feeling of foreign bodies in the eye.
- Mild traumas with no suspicion of fractures.
- Earwax removal.
- Assessment and treatment of skin rashes and itching.
- Elevated blood pressure (with no severe headaches, blurred vision, or impaired brain function).
- Mild arrhythmias of the heart (without loss of consciousness, fainting, or severe chest pain).
- Deterioration of a chronic disease (bronchial asthma, COPD, mild heart failure, diabetes, depression, anxiety disorders).
- Interim assessment of a previously diagnosed illness – signs of inflammation, blood test, urine analyses – to assess the course of the disease towards improvement/deterioration.
- Primary evaluation of a mild or moderate psychiatric complaints.
- Other non-life threatening conditions, illnesses, and injuries.
Valvekliinik is not the right place for You in case of:
As a rule, the conditions listed below require treatment and monitoring in a hospital.
- Severe shortness of breath, breathing difficulties.
- Severe abdominal pain.
- Heavy, uncontrollable bleeding.
- Severe pain.
- Serious head or neck wounds, amputations, deeper wounds which may affect functioning of limbs.
- Obvious fractures or dislocations – unable to lean on a limb, significant deformation of the limb, etc.
- Severe traumas or accidents – falling from a height of more than 1 metre (3 feet), traffic accidents.
- Poisonings, drug overdoses.
- Electric shocks.
- Convulsions, disturbance of consciousness – cannot stay awake and/or answer basic questions.
- Numbness in the face or limbs.
- Sudden speech disorders.
- Sudden weaknesses in the limb(s).
- Sudden loss of vision, double or blurred vision.
- Severe (allergic) reactions to insect bites, food, drugs (shortness of breath, swelling of the throat, allergic skin rash over a large area, etc.).
- Burns larger than 10cm in diameter.
- Severe chest pain.
- Arrhythmias, which are associated with loss of consciousness, weakness, or dizziness.
- Acute medical conditions during pregnancy.
- Acute and/or severe psychiatric conditions (the patient endangers him-/herself or others).
- Other life-threatening situations/traumas/conditions.
We will not prescribe strong sedatives or narcotic drugs or renew such prescriptions even if such prescriptions have previously been issued by our colleagues.
For now, we do not have X-ray equipment and we do not treat life-threatening injuries. In emergency situations, we will provide first aid and send the patient to a hospital.